Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Unforgivable Sin


What, you may ask, is the unforgivable sin? What could be so terrible, so heinous in nature, that it never could be forgiven? I will attempt to show it began in 1914. It was in Sydney Australia, 1914, a man named Alexander MacRae had founded a hosiery manufacturer and he wanted to expand his market. What was known as MacRae Knitting Mills, grew to be today what we call: Speedo. According to wikipedia.com "In 1928 the name Speedo was first adopted after the firm developed its racerback design of swimwear making it one of the first manufacturers to specifically produce athletic designs. The name was made up by a Captain Jim Parsons who won a company competition with the slogan "Speed on in your Speedos." First off, my question is, what was Jim Parsons a captain of? My second question is how did the design get past censorship? According to this article, Speedo is the world's largest swimwear brand in the world. With it's skin tight tiny briefs, the world has been exposed to "way too much exposure". It is absurd that this behavior is accepted and even condoned by the likes of the Olympic Committee. Have you no shame? What would your mother think? Do you look in the mirror before you leave? These are questions that are often asked in regard to the sinful swimwear. How could we wear something Adam and Eve would have been ashamed in before the fall? If you look on their website you can see that "Anti-christ" is on their board of directors. In an attempt to clean up their image, the company, "Though it still manufactures the traditional briefs and racerback designs that made the company famous, Speedo's latest competitive swimwear designs incorporate suits that provide greater coverage to the arms, legs, and even full body for their top end lineup. Their high-end suits often sell for in excess of $300 for the Fatskin 2 series".

I conclude with the plea that we take a look at ourselves and see if we are "above reproach"? Let us not indulge in the unforgivable sin like this man to the left, or to the cretan immediately below.

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 AM

 
Blogger David said...

I had thought of posting a comment about the fact that everytime I check your blog these days I am confronted with that guy raising his hands. (I have often asked myself why he is raising his hands: worship, calling over a hot dog guy, is he about to do a cart wheel? Is he about to take the nestea plunge onto his blanket?) But in light of the newest picture that greets me when I visit your blog, I would gladly return to seeing that waving man everyday.

7:03 AM

 
Blogger amesfam said...

Dave -
I am trying to find a picture of the guy raising his hands in a speedo. I will gladly post when I do.

10:48 AM

 
Blogger Ali said...

EEEEEWWWWWW........!

3:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home